Situated in the small city of Jasper, Indiana, Holy Family School was established in 1951 by the Sisters of Providence. The original school building, consisting of eight rooms, was quickly outgrown and new additions were added in 1968 and 2007 to accommodate the changing landscape of education. Holy Family School currently serves 201 students in pre-school through grade 8. Accommodations are provided for special needs students, particularly those students with specific learning disabilities, and speech and language delays. In addition, the eighth grade students have the opportunity to enroll in high school accredited programs in both Algebra and Spanish. Students are consistently challenged to meet high expectations and goals on a daily basis.
The Holy Family School building, constructed of St. Meinrad Sandstone, was completed in the summer of 1951. School opened in September of that same year utilizing four of the eight available school rooms. The Sisters of Providence agreed to teach at the school for the first two years but continued teaching until the 1975-1976 school year when the Sisters of St. Benedict replaced them. Over the next several years the school grew, steadily and in 1954 the first lay teacher was hired. When the eight original rooms were occupied, three additional rooms were furnished in the basement. The school outgrew this additional space, and a nine-room addition was built in 1968. A cafeteria and large kitchen are in the basement of the original school
building. Since the school's inception, lunch has been served to the students,
and for a time in its earlier years breakfast was served as well after daily Mass.
In 1979, the dream of having a gym was finally realized when a new church and rectory were built. The old church was turned into a gym/auditorium as originally planned. The gym accommodates all physical education classes, school assemblies, and inter-scholastic and intramural volleyball and basketball for Grades 5, 6, 7, and 8.
In 1983, the Parent Teacher Group was formed. The purpose of the organization is to promote and maintain communication among church, school and homes in order to enable parents and teachers to give their optimum cooperation in the education of
the students at Holy Family.
In 1989, the Holy Family School Foundation received final approval from the State of Indiana to be a foundation. Interest earned from the investments made by this endowment is used to enhance, enrich and advance Holy Family School. The Board of Directors is made up of individuals who are members of the parish. The Foundation has been responsible for updating and expanding the art room, science lab, computer lab, library, and most of our technology and for the addition of our preschool program.
In 2007, a major capital campaign was completed. As part of this campaign, the school was connected to the church through the addition of the narthex and Fellowship Hall. Additionally, new school and church offices were added to the building.